Friday, November 12, 2010

composition #5

Sometimes in our countries we have traditions that we do not know why we celebrate. We do not know where they come from. Some people follow some traditions because everyone celebrate them, but, they do not know why it is a celebration or the reason for it. Others decide not to be part of some traditions because they think there is no reason for celebration.

I went to Mexico last year for vacation from October 29 until November 15. I went with all my family: my mom, my sister, and my brother. At that time in Mexico they celebrate Halloween on October 31st and they also celebrate the Day of the Dead on November 1st. In Mexico I have all my mom's family so I stayed in my aunt's house.

I was very excited, waiting for Halloween and the Day of the Dead. I had my costumes in my suitcase. Two days before November 1st I asked my aunt what she was going to do on November 1st. She said she will not do anything for that day. I got surprised by her answer. November 1st is a joyful celebration when mexicans remeber the dead and worship. I asked her "but why?" My aunt said that she doesn't celebrate the death's day because she is not happy with death. Moreover she asked me why I celebrate the death's day. I didn't know what to said, I just told her that everyone celebrates it because it is part of Mexicans traditions. She gave me an explanation. I was petrified by what she told me.

She lost her first baby when she was young. Her baby died when he was 10 days old. She suffered a lot for her little boy. That's why she doesn't celebrate the day of the dead because death took her son. Then she asked me"why celebrate the day of the dead if someone special to us dies and we cry? I hate the death because of it I dont have my baby." That made me think a lot. Now I think in the same way she does, because I lost my father; he died long time ago.

I think everyone has the right of choose to follow or not a tradition or custom. Everyone has the free choice to believe or not in a custom. My aunt is not doing anything wrong if she doesn't continues with the tradition she just thinks it is not correct to her to celebrate the Day of the dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment